9.12.09

Best Made Plans

My re-built spider has turned into something of an undesired adventure. One of the shortcomings of its previous incarnation was limited adjustment of the secondary mirror parallel to the telescope tube. I thought I would correct the problem with the new version by modifying the position of the mirror relative to the vanes. I achieved the correction but, alas, in the opposite direction to what was required thus rendering it unusable....a bad move on reflection! After the initial bout of swearing and thinking I had to start all over, it eventually dawned that I might salvage the situation by re-assembling the device back to front with a few additional bodges and applying a bit more filing to my already well mutilated telescope tube. It looks about right now back in the scope so still awaiting a clear night to be sure.

No comments: