16.3.10

A better focus & NGC 4013

Some nicely transparent periods over recent evenings should have allowed the obtaining of some better than average subs. Annoyingly, while being pre-occupied with collimation, I was a bit casual with focusing on the first good evening and images suffered accordingly. Last night I resolved not to make the same mistake and thought I would try using a Bahtinov mask which I was able to make from some templates available here http://www.focus-mask.com/Free_Templates.html.
This worked amazingly well and removed all ambiguity from focusing. Highly recommended.
I managed to image NGC 4013 before cloud intervened. Sitting between 2 faint background galaxies NGC 4013 is in Ursa Major. Details: 10" f4.3 Newt. 10x 10 minute exposures @ iso800 with CLS in DSS, CS2, Photobrush & XAT.

No comments: