29.4.11

NGC 5377 and a bit of a Ferrari

A bright moon and the complications of upgrading to a faster computer are my excuses for not being very productive of late. Having overcome most of the problems getting all of my most used software up and running again the first clear evening found me attempting NGC 5377 in Canes Venatici. Not a very spectacular target my main interest was in seeing whether the faint outer halo of its outer arms would be possible to image. Despite the transparency being good and 15 x 10 minute sub exposures only a hint revealed itself. The new computer proved to be a huge improvement speedwise with the processing, especially in Deep Sky Stacker where all 4 cores of the new processor were used. What once gave me time to make a cup of coffee and drink it now only allows time to fill the kettle and switch it on!.... Details: 10" f4.3 Newt. 15x 10minute exposures @ iso1600 with CLS in DSS, FIV, CS2 & XAT.

No comments: